Traditional Beliefs about Monday
- Monday is under the Moon Sign and is generally not the luckiest of days.
- Turning a bed or mattress on a Monday is considered bad luck in some areas.
- Being born on a Monday is a sign of either being ‘fair of face’ or ‘full of grace’ (good looks, or healthily plump)
- On the start of a journey it is unlucky to meet a flat-footed person. This of course can be countered by returning home and eating a full meal (including plenty to drink).
- Mending things on Monday will result in the thing breaking again.
- You should only clip your nails on a Monday (or Tuesday) for the best of luck
- Hair should only be cut on Monday (Tuesday or Wednesday) for the sake of the wealth of the barber/beautician.
- A pig must be killed on the waxing moon or a Monday, else its meat will shrink in the pot and will not take the salt.
- Sneezing on a Monday can often be a sign of Danger.
- Getting wed on a Monday is a sign of prosperity for the couple. Unless you are French, then it can mean you’ll go insane.
- An unexpected guest on Monday often results in additional interruptions throughout the week.
- The second Monday in August (Cain’s Birth), and the last Monday in December (Destruction of Sodom) are bad days
- Signing contracts on a Monday can result in the contract being broken. This includes not getting paid back for loans given out on a Monday.
- Starting a new project on a Monday may or may not result in the projects completion (or ease of completion) depending on where you live.
To read more about daily superstitions see:
For discussions on daily superstitions see: