The magickal Uses of Spittle
Traditional Beliefs about Spit
Spit/Saliva is believed to hold a little bit of the essence of the person. With that it is a small (and effective) way of lending itself to magickal works as when you spit the expelled saliva has a sacrificial effect on the work being preformed. So as it is a sacrifice of sorts it holds a greater chance of attracting divine attention, and as we all know the gods favor sacrifice.
Healing and Cures
Banishment and Exorcisms
- Putting saliva on the middle finger of the right hand and then rubbing a small wound is reported to speed up the healing process and to lessen pain. This includes a Mother kissing a child’s booboo.
- Spitting was a protection against contagious diseases such as Epilepsy and mental illness (In these cases I guess it worked, lol) according to the ancient Romans.
- By observing the actions f animals licking their wounds and the wounds healing showed that Saliva had healing properties and as such was used as a medicine.
- Spitting on insect bites help sooth the pain and speed up healing.
- The spittle of a fasting person can aid in treating warts, birthmarks, ringworm. And other skin blemishes.
- Spitting on washing soda and applying it to a corn can help ease it.
- Spitting on the hand can help wake up a sleeping foot.
Luck and Unluck
- Spitting is an excellent counter against the Evil Eye, being Bewitched, and against charms.
- Spitting in the right shoe of a bewitched person would remove the enchantment.
- If you spit when you see a cross-eyed man approach will help thwart the Evil Eye. The same applies to seeing anyone otherwise afflicted with the Evil Eye.
- Spitting on your finger nail clipping or hair trimmings will make them unusable in spellcraft against you.
- You should spit on your child every time they are complimented to ensure the complement does not jinx them.
- Spitting into your own urine can help protect against spells.
- Spitting after a disagreement or quarrel can help to turn things in your favor.
- Gamblers as far back as the early Greeks spit on their hands before placing bets to give them better odds. Some are even known to spit on dice (Blowing on them counts), cards, chips, and the like.
- Spitting on fishing nets before casting them out to sea will help ensure there is a bountiful catch. I’m unsure if spitting on a pole/hook holds the same effect, but it may be worth a try.
- Mothers should spit on their newborns to ensure they grow up lucky.
- One should spit on their right shoe before setting out on a journey or before entering a dangerous area to aid in a safe return.
- Spitting before a sea bound journey will help in having fair weather.
- Spitting on the hands before a fight (or before another strenuous task, like digging a hole) can aid in strength and endurance.
For more uses of spit or for a discussion of this article see: Spit and Saliva in Magickal Application
- In early times spitting was discovered as a means of speeding up fermentation and was so used to aid in the magickal arts of brewing.
- Spitting on the hands to ensure a better grip has both a mundane and magickal meaning. On the mundane level, it simply works, on a magickal level, it simply works better.
- Spitting on the hand before shaking hands to seal a deal helps to make sure the contract comes full circle. Spitting in general before a deal can also hold the same effect, it can also hold true for spitting while taking any oath.
- Children in some parts are known to spit on their finger and “slicing” their necks when making a promise to let the other children know they are on the up and up. While doing this action they say the following rhyme:
Such actions are called “spitting your faith” or “spitting your soul”
- Finger wet, finger dry
Cut my throat if I tell a lie.
- You should spit on new clothes to make them last longer. Alternatively, seamstresses are known to spit on the outer wrappings of finished garments to ensure costumer satisfaction.
- You should spit on your field before reaping to ensure a better yield.
- Human spit is poisonous to snakes (I'd personally not put much stock in this one)
- Spitting upon seeing a new moon for the first time can grant wishes.