Traditional Beliefs about Sunday
- Sunday is powered by the Sun
- A child born on Sunday is “blithe and bonny, good and gay”. They are often gifted and lucky as well.
- Generally considered the luckiest day of the week.
- Children born on Sundays resist ill magicks as they are often considered blessed.
- Psychic powers are often strongest in those born on Sunday
- Don’t turn your bed or mattress on Sunday; in fact, it’s unlucky to make your bed on this day.
- To cut your nails on Sunday invites the Devil himself to be with you throughout the week.
- Sneezing on a Sunday has a rhyme:
Sneeze on Sunday morning fasting
Enjoy your true love everlasting
- Never cut your hair or fingernails on Sunday.
- Don’t sew on Sunday
- Courting is bad on Sunday
- Sunday is a good day for Medical treatments
- Finishing a project on Sunday is a good thing.
- Taking a trip by sea is good if started on a Sunday
- If you sing out of tune in Church on Sunday, your dinner will be burned.
- A Sunday burial ensures that more will soon follow.
- Leaving a grave open over Sunday will cause it to beckon for yet another corpse.
- Never get your hair cut on Sunday as “it’s best never be born then Sunday shorn”.
- A new moon on Sunday predicts bad weather and even worse luck everywhere.
- Collecting nuts on Sunday is devils work.
To read more about daily superstitions see:
For discussions on daily superstitions see: